NJ-SP Varsity Letter Requirements
The requirements for varsity letters cover all sports:
- Must be in good athletic and academic standing, complete the season and be eligible academically.
- Injured players may receive a letter if in the opinion of the head coach he/she would have participated enough if they had not been injured, and also served the team in some capacity while injured.
- Show marked improvement during the season and from the previous season.
- Be of good character, a teammate, and team player.
- Attend all practices, games, meets or matches unless excused by the coach, parent, or doctor.
- Contribute to the teams success.
- Regular member of the varsity team.
- At the discretion of the head coach, only with the approval of the AD.
In addition to the general letter requirements, the following sport requirements will also contribute to the varsity letter awarding:
Baseball & Softball
Play in at least one-third of the total number of games.
Boys & Girls Basketball
Play in one-third of the total number of seasons games.
Placing within the top seven (7) in over one-half of all scheduled meets.
Complete in one-half of total seasons quarters of varsity football.
Participate in one-half of the varsity matches.
Swim one event at every meet and accumulate at least 40 points.
Participation in one-third or more of the varsity matches.
Track & Field
Accumulate a minimum of twenty points during the season in regularly scheduled meets including the tournament series. Points will be awarded on the following basis:
Play one-half of total seasons games.
Accumulate a minimum of 25 points during a wrestling season in regular scheduled meets. Points are awarded on the following basis: